RAVEN CHRONICLES SUBMISSION GUIDELINES & THEME
Vol. 20, Summer 2014 Issue:
Personal Sound Tracks; Soundscapes;
The Sound Track of Your Life
Deadline: April 15, 2014
Publication: Summer, 2014
Everyone’s life has it’s own “soundtrack” — certain sounds or songs that whenever they’re heard reawaken a memory. Music plays this role for many. But it could be the sound of a waterfall, or traffic noises, or nightly arguments on the other side of the wall; the wailing of sirens, the music of bird song. Sometimes the sounds awaken memories that are tender, that we treasure; other times we’re reminded of losses, or traumas, or how ridiculous we once were. Whatever the memory, there’s a story connected to it, or perhaps a poem, or a painting.... That song that gets stuck in your head! Write about how a piece of music, or another type of sound or lack of sound, came to be part of your personal narrative/story. The sounds of silence; silent spring; musicians and composers; lip syncing. Do lives, like movies, have soundtracks? Is there something besides the music of an era that binds us together with a particular group of people? Couples have “our song.” Extended families or groups of people are often bound together by music.
Wanted: poems, essays, fiction/non-fiction, and artwork on this theme. Stories, memories, desires, family legends, half-buried truths, images, your rants and raves, your good experiences and bad, the worst and the best and, above all, send us your dreams.
(NB: We will also be taking submissions of audio files. Stay tuned for that information.)
Send a maximum of 3 poems. Focus is on content that melds with form — whether traditional or experimental.
Creative Nonfiction, Fiction and Essays:
Send 3,500-4,000 words, double-spaced, 12 point type.
Experimental work is always of interest. We accept short stories or novel excerpts that can stand alone.
Rants, Raves, Reviews and Interviews:
Do you have a book you would like to review? Someone you are dying to interview?
PLEASE let us know - we may feel the same way!
Black & White drawings, photos, illustrations, etchings. We are always looking for illustrators for stories, poems.
We are fond of well-drawn Ravens and other Corvids! Contact us for ideas. Submissions: e-mail as a jpeg or pdf attachment. If we choose your artwork, we will contact you about how to submit.
In each issue we print work related to the following themes/context:
Poetics (essays or interviews);
Memorials/ Odes to Persons, Places & Things;
Mapping the Terrain/Cultural Geography (translations);
Food & Culture; The Northwest/ Nature Writing.
- POETRY: Submit up to 3 poems.
- FICTION OR CREATIVE NONFICTION: Submit up to 4,000 words.
- SEND A COVER LETTER with contact information, titles of work you are sending, and BRIEF bio.
- Send a SASE, Self-Addressed Stamped Envelope, with your work. All work submitted must include a SASE (or we cannot return your work or reply to your submissions).
- Include Page Numbers and Author's name on all pages submitted.
- Addressed To: On your envelope include the appropriate editor you are sending work to, Poetry Editor, Fiction Editor, or Nonfiction Editor. And mail all work to: Raven Chronicles, 12346 Sand Point Way N.E., Seattle, WA 98125
- International Submissions: We accept e-mail submissions ONLY from writers living outside the U.S.A. E-mail work attached as RTF or MS Word.doc or PDF. Do not embed work in e-mail message. Please use the following text in your subject line:
Int'l Submission, ________ Editor.
- Only Submit one batch of poems or one prose piece for each print issue/theme.
- Previously published work: we sometimes publish previously published work; inquire about it.
- Simultaneous submissions are NOT accepted. This is a change in our policy.
- Submissions received outside of the reading period/deadline will be returned unread.
The Raven Chronicles publishes work which reflects the cultural diversity of the Pacific Northwest, Cascadia, and other regions.
We promote art, literature and the spoken word for an audience that is hip, literate, funny, informed, and lives in a society that has
a multicultural sensibility. We publish fiction, talk art/spoken word, poetry, essays, reflective articles, reviews, interviews and
contemporary art. We look for work that reflects the author's experiences, perceptions and insights. We publish work by emerging and veteran writers.
PAYMENT & ETC.:
All contributors receive two copies of the magazine (only one if you live outside the US) and, sometimes, a small payment, (generally in the $10-$40 range). We try to pay contributors, but this isn't always possible. Payment will be sent after the magazine has been distributed. We buy first rights as well as the rights to use your name and the accepted work, with your agreement, on our website, but all rights revert to you upon publication. We ask that Raven Chronicles be acknowledged in any subsequent publication of your work accepted. but all rights remain with you.
We try to respond to submissions within a reasonable period. If you haven't heard within 3 months,
write or email us. Our staff is small and dedicated: we do the best we can!
Revised February 25, 2014.