We seek to foster both experimental work and traditional work; to marry the work of traditional storytellers (Native American, Armenian, Latino/a, etc.) with experimental writers (spoken word / concrete poetry, etc.). With our trans-cultural publications we attempt to encourage an audience that is hip, literate, informed, and lives in a society that is multicultural.
The Raven Chronicles magazine does not charge reading fees, but we do ask that you submit using the online submission manager during the open reading period unless you are unable to access an internet connection. Contact us with a query via email or phone if you need to submit via the United States Postal Service.
Vol. 26, Summer 2018 issue
Guidelines will be published shortly
Submissions will open on: March 1, 2018
Submissions will close on: April 30, 2018
Fiction: Kathleen Alcalá
Nonfiction: Priscilla Long
Poetry: Gary Lilley
Theme Vol. 26, LAST Call. Theme and guidelines TBA.
How to Submit work: We Use Submittable.com for our submission platform.
- Previously published work: we sometimes publish previously published work; inquire about it.
- Simultaneous submissions are accepted, but please indicate this in your cover letter and notify us immediately by adding a note to your Submittable account if your work is accepted elsewhere.
- Submissions received outside of the reading period/deadline will be sadly returned unread.
- We aim for a response time of 4 weeks after submission deadline, but query us if you haven’t heard from us in 2 months.
How to submit your work using Submittable.com
- Poetry: Send a maximum of three (3)poems. Enter each poem separately. No restrictions on form or content, but our focus is on content that melds with form — whether traditional or experimental. 11-12 pt standard font. Revisions may be made UPON acceptance. One batch of submissions per reading period. NEW OF NOTE: We now publish in book format, 6×9 inches, with interior pages 4×7, so we can’t publish poems with extra long lines. You can submit but we might have to reject poems on this basis (or ask you to edit it). Revisions may be made UPON acceptance.
- Fiction: Submit up to 4,000 words, one story/fiction, or 3 flash fictions / lyric prose. Double-spaced, 11-12 point standard font. Experimental work is always of interest. Surprise us! We accept short stories or novel excerpts that can stand alone. Revisions may be made UPON acceptance. One submission per reading period.
- Creative Nonfiction, Essays: Submit up to 4,000 words, or 2 micro-essays. Double-spaced, 11-12 point standard font. Revisions may be made UPON acceptance. One submission per reading period. Revisions may be made UPON acceptance.
- Art Wanted: Black & White: Cartoons, drawings, photos, illustrations, etchings on the theme. Raven publishes in 6×9 book format now and our interior pages are max 4×7, so artwork has to fit in those limits. Artwork in portrait format works best; we use landscape but work has to be reduced more to fit the page. Send submissions via submittable.com or e-mail, email@example.com, with artwork attached as jpegs or pdfs. If we choose your artwork, we will contact you about how to submit accepted work (which will need to be tiffs, 300 dpi, high resolution).
Wanted b/w art, on the theme of course; or our general themes:
- Beyond Borders / Cultural Geography (including translations)
- Recovery Café (emerging voices)
- Family Corvidae
- Food and Culture
- In Memoriam/Odes to Persons, Places and Things
- Nature Writing
- Pacific Northwest
- Poetics (Essays and Interviews)
- Rants, Raves, and Reviews
- Spoken Word